If you own a private well, regular testing is your first line of defense against contaminated water. The EPA is not responsible for regulating private wells, so it is important to learn how to keep your water healthy. In fact, over 13 million homeowners depend on and maintain private well water. The idea that well water is of a lower quality than municipal water is false. Private maintenance, however, doesn’t mean pollutants can’t make their way into your supply. Contamination can happen at any time, and if you live near an agricultural area or manufacturing plant, the risk is higher. This is why testing is so imperative to ensure you and your family are drinking high quality water.
The professionals at Hague Quality Water of Maryland can help ensure your water is safe to drink. We’ve been a top choice for Maryland residents since 1993, and to this day our expertise is unmatched. With water quality testing completed by WQA-certified experts, you can rest assured knowing knowledgeable specialists are on your side.
4 Reasons to Test Your Private Well Water
You should always test your private well water annually. With that being said, testing more frequently can help identify any potential issues sooner. If you want to be as safe as possible, testing every six months is an option. Here are just a few reasons why regular testing is crucial:
- Safeguard your family’s health. A poor water supply can lead to viral infections, sicknesses and even heavy metal poisoning. The water you cook, wash dishes with and bathe with should always be pure and free of contaminants. When you prioritize water testing, you prioritize your family’s well being.
- Look forward to better-tasting water. When you take a drink of water, it should never taste off-putting, bitter, metallic or foul. With proper water testing and treatment, you can guarantee the water you’re drinking will stay crisp and refreshing.
- Limit hard water complications. Hard water occurs when you have a build-up of calcium and magnesium in your supply. This can cause various issues such as dry skin and hair, coarse laundry, and appliance failure. If we find that you have hard water, we can work to combat this problem with water softening equipment. Soon, you’ll be back to enjoying the water you love.
- Prevent damage to pipes and water fixtures. Contaminants and unwanted minerals can lead to rust, stains, soap scum and scale. This can occasionally cause corrosion as well. With cleaner water comes reliable, long-lasting plumbing fixtures.
Are you unsure if it’s time to get your water tested? There could be a problem with your well water if…
- Your pipes and fixtures are clogged frequently.
- Soaps and detergents don’t lather like they used to.
- Your water tests or smells “off.”
- Family members complain of stomach issues or feel sick often.
- There are stains in your water-oriented fixtures.
- You have very low water pressure.
Contaminants That Can Be Found in Your Supply
The best way to eradicate water pollutants in a private well is to have a water test performed. After all, you can’t solve a problem until you know what problem you’re dealing with.
A certified laboratory water test will provide you with precise results, and from there we can offer you numerous treatment options. Most importantly, our comprehensive report will give you and your family the peace of mind you deserve.
If you’re wondering what the most common contaminants are, here are just a few to be aware of:
- Lead, copper and iron
- Atrazine and other herbicides
- Nitrates and nitrites
- Barium, excessive sodium, strontium
- Pathogens, viruses and coliform bacteria
- Arsenic, radon and cadmium
- VOCs, pesticides, oil and gasoline
If you are concerned about any of these pollutants, we can inspect your water and help protect your supply moving forward. No matter what contaminants we identify, we will help you resolve the issue as soon as possible.
Do You Need a Water Test? Hague Quality Water of Maryland Can Help
If you are concerned about your private well water or the overall quality and contents of your water, we are here to help with your water improvement projects. We provide certified water testing along with water treatment solutions to ensure your water is clean and safe to drink. For additional assistance, call Hague Quality Water of Maryland at (410) 757-2992.