Maryland residents love the region due to its vibrant communities, great schools and wide range of entertainment and leisure opportunities. However, living in Maryland does not come without drawbacks. Recently, the Anne Arundel County Department of Health pinpointed five potential groundwater problem areas in the county that present hazards to residents, wildlife and local ecosystems. What should every resident know about water quality problem areas in Maryland?
What Creates Water Quality Problem Areas in Maryland?
The county weighs numerous factors in what can create a water quality problem area. The areas designated by Anne Arundel County were singled out due to saltwater intrusion, high levels of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and elevated levels of radium, arsenic, cadmium and nitrates:
- Salt Water Intrusion: This can occur when wells are not properly sealed in a confined aquifer at the proper depth of 270 feet. Otherwise, intrusion can occur. This is more common in new wells but can happen even with properly drilled wells.
- Elevated Nitrate Levels: Wells can also experience elevated nitrate levels, particularly if they are located near farms or other agricultural activities.
- Elevated Radium Levels: Without testing gross alpha particles in private well water, well owners could be drinking water with elevated radium levels.
- Elevated Arsenic and Cadmium Levels: These chemicals can enter groundwater supplies and be difficult to detect the presence of without testing. Complicating matters, wells that are drilled and tested to find that they exceed the acceptable levels of cadmium or arsenic must be re-drilled to a different depth.
What Health Problems Can Occur in Water Quality Problem Areas in Maryland?
Depending on what problems are present in your drinking water or private well, the health impacts that you deal with could include:
- Tissue damage
- Increased risk of bone, liver and breast cancer
- Hypertension or high blood pressure
- Blue baby syndrome (methemoglobinemia)
- Skin lesions
- Increased risk of diabetes and cardiovascular disease
- And more
How can you protect your family from the hazards of living in water quality problem areas in Maryland? Quality water treatment in your home with help from Hague Quality Water of Maryland.
How Can Water Treatment Protect Your Home Drinking Water Supply?
Before you can have water treatment recommendations from Hague Quality Water of Maryland, you must complete simple water testing. This will pinpoint if there are any concerning chemicals or compounds present in your drinking water and whether or not there should be action taken. Water treatment plants can help remove hazards from your water, but the pipes between the plant and your home could add them back in. After water leaves the treatment plant it is susceptible to hazardous contaminants like arsenic, lead, and more before it arrives at your home. Even more, traces of pharmaceuticals have been found in residential water due to their improper disposal. If you have private well water, you also might not have a good understanding of everything inside of your water until it is professionally tested. Hague Quality Water of Maryland works with homeowners using every type of water supply, including local municipal treated water, private wells and other freshwater reservoirs.
Hague Quality Water of Maryland’s WaterMax® is an innovative and effective way to remove sediment, salt, dirt and contaminants like those found in water quality problem areas in Maryland. Use one of our convenient contactless water testing kits to collect a sample from your home or have one of our water specialists visit your home to take a sample.
Our test will include information about levels of:
- Total Dissolved Solids
- And More!
With our filtration solutions, you will experience high quality water with efficient filtration. Our WaterMax® can be used in conjunction with reverse osmosis technology to create water that is clean and refreshing without any dangerous chemicals or substances. It comes with a 25-year Manufacturer’s Limited warranty, so you can feel confident that your water will remain clean and safe for now and the future. Don’t second-guess the water that your family is drinking in water quality problem areas in Maryland.
Enjoy Quality Water with Hague Quality Water of Maryland
If your family lives in Anne Arundel, Montgomery, Prince George’s, or Queen Anne’s County and you are concerned about the quality and contents of your water, we are here to help with your water improvement projects. Whether you need the Hague WaterMax® System or additional filtration beyond that, our team cares deeply about the health and safety of your family. For additional assistance, call Hague Quality Water of Maryland at (410) 757-2992.