Many homeowners are unaware of water softeners or don’t know how they work. Unfortunately, this means they could be facing problems that are easily solvable. In the long run, these issues could lead to increased maintenance needs and higher costs. At Hague Quality Water of Maryland, we’ve helped countless Maryland residents restore their water supply with softeners. Although it may seem strange to “soften” water, this treatment method has a major impact on water quality.
The first step to understanding how water softeners work is to understand what hard water is. Hard water occurs when a high amount of mineral content is present in your supply. Usually, this includes an excessive quantity of calcium and magnesium. This might not sound like a problem, but it can cause a variety of complications. Read more to learn what signs could indicate that you need a water softener.
8 Signs You Need a Water Softener
Whereas water filters target harmful contaminants and bacteria, water softeners reduce problematic minerals. You may need a softener if you’re experiencing any of these problems:
- Limescale on dish ware and cutlery. Hard water can cause a build-up of mineral deposits in your supply. If you notice this chalky substance on dishes, cutlery and glassware, you could benefit from a water softener.
- Rust stains in sinks, toilets and bathtubs. When minerals like iron dissolve, they leave a reddish residue behind. These stains can be scrubbed away, but they may be frustrating to deal with. After installing a water softener, you won’t have to see (or clean) these unappealing blemishes anymore.
- Expensive utility bills. If you see limescale build-up on your fixtures, it’s likely that mineral deposits are clogging up your pipes too. When this happens, your water heater has to work harder to transport water throughout your home. As a result, your utility bills will increase.
- Coarse laundry. Are your clothes feeling rough, scratchy and coarse? Hard water is tough on fabrics, and it leaves residue behind. It also makes detergents less effective. With a water softener, you can enjoy fresh, soft laundry again.
- Issues with your water heater. When scale forms inside your water tank, it can cause plenty of damage. Eventually, you may find that your water heater requires constant repairs. Water heaters normally last between 12 and 15 years, but their lifespan is shortened by hard water.
- Dry skin and hair after showering. Soaps don’t lather well when you have too many minerals in your water. This may leave you feeling unclean even after you shower. Your skin and hair may feel itchy and dry. With the right water softener, you’ll never have to worry about this again.
- Clogged plumbing. Mineral deposits can wreak havoc on your plumbing systems. Your water supply should be inspected if you have to call handymen often to clear the drains. Maintenance costs add up over time. Additionally, if left untreated, this can lead to other complex problems like flooding.
- Low water pressure. Everyone loves a hot shower after a long day, but low water pressure can be disappointing! A gradual or sudden decrease in water pressure is something you want to pay attention to. This could indicate that minerals are accumulating in your pipes.
Our Water Softeners
Have you been experiencing any of these issues in your home? While any problems with your water supply can be alarming, hard water is entirely fixable. Additionally, there are several products that can be used to treat hard water. We encourage you to browse our selection of water softeners below:
- High Performance: Hague WaterMax®
- High Performance: Hague WaterMax® for City Water
- Comprehensive: Hague Maximizer
- Efficient: Hague Hydroclean
- High Performance Compact: Pura-tech
- High Performance Efficiency: HomeGUARD®
At Hague Quality Water of Maryland, we make it our mission to provide first-rate water solutions at a competitive price. Our specialists will visit your home to examine your water, perform a test and identify any potential problems. Get in touch with us today to receive more information about testing, softeners and more. Our representatives would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have.
Learn More about Water Softeners at Hague Quality Water of Maryland
If you are concerned about the quality and contents of your water, or you’d like to learn more about water softening systems, we are here to help. Our team of experts can help you find the treatment system that works best for your home’s water. For additional assistance regarding water softeners or hard water, call Hague Quality Water of Maryland today at (410) 951-3366.